Albert DeSalvo, the alleged Boston Strangler, was never arrested, charged, tried, or convicted for murdering any of the 14 victims attributed to the killer. The only evidence against DeSalvo was his own confession, a confession spawned by greed and rife with errors…the same errors that were erroneously reported in press coverage that was scrutinized by DeSalvo, who had a photographic memory. There is not a single piece of forensic evidence linking him to the murders, and three witnesses who saw the strangler failed to identify DeSalvo. And ten months after the last strangling, Albert DeSalvo was arrested for the “Green Man” crimes, a series of non-violent rapes where he even apologized to the victims afterwards…hardly the textbook progression for a violent, sadistic serial killer like the Boston Strangler.
Moreover, the strangler victims did not reconcile with a victimology profile. They were young and old, white and black, city and suburban. The methodology varied greatly: Ida Irga was left spread-eagled in a grotesque position, while Patricia Bissette was tucked in bed with the covers pulled up to her chin.
And in 2003, DNA evidence eliminated Albert DeSalvo as the killer of Mary Sullivan, considered the last victim of the Boston Strangler.
So who murdered these women during 1962-1964? And how many killers were there? Here is a chronological list of the accepted strangler victims, along with primary suspects other than Albert DeSalvo.
- Anna E. Slesers, 55, sexually molested with unknown object and strangled with her bathrobe cord; found on June 14 1962
- Mary Mullen, 85, died from a heart attack, but believed to have collapsed as the strangler grabbed her; found on June 28 1962:
- Nina Nichols, 68, sexually molested and strangled with her nylon stockings; found on June 30 1962
- Paula Lepro, 57, sexually molested and strangled with her nylon stockings; found on June 22 1962:
- Helen Blake, 65, sexually molested and strangled with her nylon stockings; found on June 30 1962:
- Ida Irga, 75, sexually molested, bludgeoned, and strangled with a scarf; found on August 2 1962:
- Jane Sullivan, 67, sexually assaulted and strangled with her nylon stockings; found on August 30 1962:
SUSPECTS in all 6 murders: George Nasser, Barry Schereschewsky, William Lindahl, Peter Denton, Arthur Harrold,
- Sophie Clark, 20, sexually assaulted and strangled with her nylon stockings; found on December 5 1962:
SUSPECTS: William Keany, Albert Williams
- Patricia Bissette, 23, sexually assaulted and strangled with her nylon stockings; found on December 31 1962:
SUSPECTS: Jules Rothman, James Tuohey,
- Mary Brown, 69, sexually assaulted, stabbed, strangled and beaten, found on March 9 1963:
- Beverly Samans, 23, stabbed to death, but not sexually assaulted, on May 8 1963:
SUSPECTS: Gene Graff, Daniel Pennacchio,
- Evelyn Corbin, 58, sexually assaulted and strangled with her nylon stockings; found on September 6 1963:
SUSPECTS: Robert Campbell
- Joann Graff, 23, sexually assaulted and strangled with her leotard on November 23 1963:
SUSPECTS: unknown subject seen by her neighbor just before the crime
- Mary Sullivan, 19, sexually assaulted and strangled with dark stockings, found on January 4 1964
SUSPECTS: William Ivey, Nathan Ward,